Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Performances at the Fast Forward Festival

By Elizaveta Oliinyk, scholar at, Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe, Germany


I'm very much thankful for an opportunity to see many great theater performances by Fast Forward Festival in Dresden. New aesthetics and political actuality of some performances have impressed me a lot. "J'abandonne une partie de moi que j'adapte" by Theater National Brussel was my favorite. This theater work inspired me to think about possible future performance that I would like to work on in Ukraine. I really liked how young French director Justine Lequette deeply investigated the topic of labor, her work with film media, political manipulative speeches and gestures (there is a fantastic transition in body language of actors showing time transition!) Interesting conceptual approach to political crisis took the Swiss collective helium x, but their work was rather entertainment. 

Collage work based on the Ionesco play “Bald soprano” (only one author play text within the festival!) by Greek director Marilena Katranidou was also one of my favorites. Marilena tried to deconstruct the language clichés and manipulative power incorporated in these clichés. I think that absurd performances are really a present for actors, they give a space for improvisation, are very free and at the same time political!

“One gesture” by Wojtek Ziemilski was definitely the best documentary performance I have ever seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment