Monday, November 20, 2017

Atmosphere of Tbilisi - Part One: Personal

By Viktoria Shvydko, scholar at the Kote Marjanishvili, Tbilisi, Georgia


Warm sunshine. Clear sky above the head. Harsh mountains that look out of the Gothic cathedrals, of the classic buildings, of the metal glazed high-rise buildings, and generally look out of everywhere.
Men. Women. Children. Elder people. Such insanely beautiful people. I feel of them inner strength - and sometimes even aggression. But the combination of mountain rigor and solar heat in these people creates their own charisma.

This is a country from the category of those you need to watch, which you should see, otherwise you will not feel it completely. For the first few days, I was simply in a cultural shock mixed with incredible aesthetic pleasure.

Shock - because I first met a language that does not look like anything; language in which I do not have any links. Enjoyment - because my eyes and brain in a few hours of wandering around the city were filled with beauty and many thoughts. The range of thoughts began with silent enthusiasm and culminated in the comprehension of terms such as "democracy", "progress", "future", "changes".
Absolute dissimilarity of this city to my usual living conditions, unknown language, strange frankness and openness of ordinary passers-by in this city did not interfere with me and did not frighten me at all. I felt like a welcome guest in this strange land.

I felt this city, this culture as my close friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment